Monday, April 6, 2015

Quilting 101 - Where to Begin - Am I Going to Go Broke?

We get asked about what is truly important to a quilter and what would help someone just getting started. I thought I would give a quick list of our opinion of the matter. 

1. The Machine: 



You do NOT need to run out and drop thousands on a machine. I would however recommend a vintage machine before buying a Walmart or other big box store machine. Quality machines new in our store (Janome) start about $129 they will have fewer stitches then what you find in a big box store but they will also have much more metal including a frame. It sounds silly but I would rather you find an old singer (1970 and older) and do a cleaning on it then something completely made of plastic. It is tempting to run out and get something new and in a brand you think you can trust. After all your mom had a singer, her mom had a singer and her mom's mom had a Singer. But there is a saying in the quilt world." There is nothing better then an old Singer and nothing worse then a new Singer."  So spend $20 at a thrift shop and pay to have it cleaned rather then $50 on a problem child from wally world or Joanns. ( This is the part where I'm excited this Blog is my opinion on the matter)

2. Fabric ( Quality over Quantity)



OK this may and probably will rustle some feathers but I would recommend buying a quality fabric. Since you are new to this maybe ask a local shop if they have a precut kit so you can just work on sewing and worry about cutting another time. Jelly rolls, layer cakes and so on will work too. ( If you're thinking I just offered you a snack I should warn you that those are just fun names for precut fabrics ) You will want to buy fabric that will with stand use, washes and life in general. A rule of thumb for a beginner is soft touch and one layer should NOT be see though when held up to light, Like all things there are levels of quality. You will find very quickly that a lot of time and effort goes into your quilt you will want a fabric that will let you enjoy it for a long time. 

3. Cutting tools:



Starting with pre-cuts is a great option! ( walk into your local quilt shop and ask!)
 I personally am an AccuQuilt cutter because I have MS and don't feel my hands as well as I should. This means that I keep a rotary cutter about as straight as a blindfolded person rides a unicycle with a square wheel. I do think that any quilter will benefit from one of these tools but wait for a few quilts to make sure you catch the bug before buying one. A cheap pair of sheers and a rotary cutter are a good place to start. Also a ruler and I like a handle. But you can always add to your stash as you need to . You will end up upgrading sheers and you WILL become one of those women who KNOWS when someone has used their sewing sheers to open plastic packaging. But you're not there yet so Fiskers over Ginghers for now 
wink emoticon
4. Classes or a Teacher:



 Find someone to guide you through so that you will love it. Look up Missouri Star Quilt Company on YouTube or find a local shop to teach you. You might have a family member or friend but make sure you have someone you can ask if you have questions. ( you can also Youtube Missouri Star Quilt Company for great step by step tutorials !)

5. Iron: 



OK this MIGHT be just as important as the sewing machine. And again there is no reason to put a ton of money into one. There are irons out there that cost thousands but you don't need one now and you may not need one ever. I personally use a black and Decker Classic that I bought for $30 at our local True Value Store. What I like about this iron and what you will want to look for is, Heavy weight, good steam, very very hot, no non-stick or other surface just clean metal on the bottom. you will become one with this iron so find one you like with out breaking the bank.

6. Work Space:


Attention Family Members.... You no longer have a dining room table.... Love, Your New Quilter. I have a nice space that is just for sewing now but for a long time I sewed in a spare bedroom, and cut, laid out my fabric and basted in the dining room. it's ok, you'll pay them back with your new pretty creations. 


I hope this helps! Don't forget for our local kids we have Teenie Stitches Quilt Guild on the 3rd Monday of every month at 5:30 at Handcart Quilts and Yarns, no cost everyone welcome but the kids run the show smile emoticon

No comments:

Post a Comment